POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed : Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 17 Oct 2009 16:36:58
Message: <4ada2aea$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> - Reducing the MFT Zone helps reclaim 'wasted' disk space.
>
>   I thought the whole idea of a large MFT zone (which it is, by default)
> is to reduce fragmentation.

True, but the typical use of the MFT Zone is about 10-20% at most, in
some rare cases goes to 50%, you really need to have lots of files to
actually start filling up the MFT Zone.

>   It's not like the MFT zone is away from data. It's just that data is
> written there only after everything else is full.

also true, but the MFT Zone at its default is far larger than you'll
ever need, so probably you'll never even get pass 75% of it, I'm not
saying is bad, is just a little over dimensioned and it doesn't have
much adaptability as the Page File does. But for what is worth 'fsutil
behavior set mftzone 1' command is Windows default setting and the
smallest MFT Zone possible, but some times is not set and the MFT Zone
tends to be big.